Fighting Fires in the Home
Fire extinguishers are special
pressurized devices that release chemicals or water to put out a fire. They
keep small fires from spreading, assist in fighting fires until the fire
department arrives and can help provide an escape route for you and your
Remember: A fire extinguisher is no substitute for the fire department! Always call the fire department first -- no matter how small you think the fire is.
How do fire extinguishers work? Fire is a result of a chemical reaction called combustion. Fire needs fuel, oxygen and heat in order to burn. Fire extinguishers apply an "agent" that will cool burning fuel or restrict or remove oxygen so the fire cannot continue to burn. Small household fires can be quickly controlled by a fire extinguisher.
Every home should have at least one fire extinguisher, but simply owning an extinguisher is not enough.
One-third of all people injured by fire are hurt while trying to control or extinguish the fire. You need the right type of extinguisher and you must know how to use it.
Don't fight a fire unless:
Home Fire Safety Tips
Find out more about Warren County Fire & Rescue Department's Smoke Alarm Program.
Do you live in a Manufacture Home? Read Living Safely in a Manufactured Home.
Your kitchen pots and pans may seem harmless, but if used incorrectly when cooking, a fire can result.
Fact: According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), cooking equipment is the leading cause of home fires in the U.S. On average, there are 99,300 cooking fires each year resulting in 290 deaths, 4,940 injuries and $400 million in property damage. In addition, 42% of the people who have died in cooking fires were asleep.
As with all types of fires, most kitchen and cooking fires can be avoided by following these easy safety tips from NFPA:
The following information describes the types of fires you might expect in the kitchen...and what to do about them.
Dry Cooking Fires
The most common type of cooking fire is the dry cooking fire. The water or moisture boils out of the pan and the food left in the pan scorches, producing smoke. This usually doesn't cause a great deal of damage. The heat may sometimes damage the surrounding area. The smoke may leave a residue and an odor. Hopefully a little cleaning up is all it takes.
The grease fire occurs when oil or grease type foods are heated and ignite. A grease fire can do significant damage. Open flames can extend to surrounding cabinets or other combustible items. If unnoticed, a grease fire can extend to a major house fire, engulfing the entire kitchen, adjacent rooms or even the attic. This becomes a dangerous life-threatening fire.
Be prepared for grease pan fires by always keeping a lid and oven mitt nearby. If a pan of food catches fire, put on the oven mitt and carefully slide a lid over the pan. Turn off the burner, don’t move the pan and keep the lid on until the pan cools completely.
Never, never put water on a grease fire! Water will splatter the grease and dramatically increase the size of the fire. You will easily get burned! NEVER try to carry a flaming grease fire outside. It will quickly be too hot to carry and you will certainly spread the fire over the entire area.
Most of the time an oven fire is not serious. The fire is usually contained in the oven, which is designed for high heat anyway. The oven fire usually suffocates or is easily extinguished.
If a fire starts in your oven, close the oven door and turn off the heat source. If the flames don’t go out immediately, call the fire department.
In all cases, make sure everyone evacuates the house.
Call 911 and report the fire.
If the fire is still very small, you can use a fire extinguisher to try and put it out. But if the fire gets out of control, get out of the house and wait for the fire department to arrive.
We can come to your home and provide a courtesy home inspection identifying any hazards, checking your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms and making suggestions to better improve your home for fire safety. Anyone interested in receiving a free courtesy home fire inspection may contact the fire administration office at (540) 636-3830 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org